Monday, September 10, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels

Blog Business Up Front: I just want to say "Hi" to my extended family! I heard at a recent wedding that some of you are reading. Annnd, now you're famous - congratulations. As repayment, you must all write a guest review for us.  Haha, just kidding. Or not, we do need the help. Also, a wave to the Food Science Lab at UGA (seriously).

April was German Cuisine month at ALDI (at least at our ALDI). There were little Deutsche Küche brand items all over the store and most of them had high novelty factors. I knew I wanted to try at least one of them before they were ripped back out of the store and out of my life. There were a lot of questionable choices (bratwurst, peanut puffs, goat cheese, etc).

Out of all the choices, these Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels practically floated into my basket.  I thought these were a slam dunk, GC was predictably skeptical. They break open like any other pastry in a tube, with a satisfying pop. Then you have to form them into pretzel shapes, which I thought I could do with pizza-dough-spin dramatic flourish (I could not). You sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top and put them in the oven.

While they cooked, I read what remained of the package. Hold up - these things have partially hydrogenated oils in them. We can't eat these! They will kill us (eventually). This is a real shame because look at how cute they are:



Of course, what good is a food blog if we don't try ALL di food. So we ate about half a pretzel each. Luckily for our arteries, these were not good. They were dry and had a pretty strong chemical taste. I give them an I. C'mon ALDI, pull yourself together. Transfats?

I'm one-half to one-quarter German, so this review is 100% correct.

1 comment: