Friday, September 7, 2012

Guest Post: Bremer Kids Chicken Nuggets Complete Meal

We would like to welcome our first guest reviewer! Thanks for sharing the burden of this completely voluntary blog with us; we couldn't do it without you, GD.

Hi there loyal readers, nice to meet ya. I’m the Gentleman’s daughter and possibly only reader of What’s Good at ALDI? So this blog entry is somewhat of a diary to myself. Listen, self, I love ALDI. My husband and I are trying to raise three kids and I don’t know if you’ve ever been around a child, but they like to eat. As much as I love to cook for the family, there are those nights when a bottle of wine and some water crackers is a full meal for me. Those nights are the times that I forget about the words “healthy” and “mono sodium glutamate” and turn to frozen meals. The kids are always begging for those god-awful Kid Cuisines, so when we saw these on sale at ALDI, we couldn’t resist. These guys were on sale for a meager $0.99. When I see something on sale for less than a dollar, my brain reads “Free”. We scooped up three and headed home with three super excited children.
You want dinner AGAIN? I just fed you dinner yesterday!

Maybe it was the bottle of Winking Owl I was sipping on, but I’ll admit these looked good to me. I kept seeing the pudding in the middle as BBQ sauce so maybe that was part of it. One crazy part of these is the complicated cutting you have to do to the plastic coating. They want you to cut the plastic off just the chicken part, then cut a slit in the pudding part. This is also the point where the kids and I realized that the pudding gets cooked in the oven… hot pudding? I don’t know.
I bought these for an easy dinner, not an arts and crafts activity!

The biggest problem was when they came out of the oven. The pudding had boiled over into the macaroni and the corn. Gross. This is when I started to panic. Kids hate food to touch, and if mine knew this had happened- game over, I’m going to have to order a pizza. Except for the middle one, he’ll eat pretty much anything. The oven timer has already gone off, so I frantically start scooped out the contaminated portions because I’ve only got a few seconds before they are in here. Thankfully I got the last bit out before they saw. Phew.

Thanks but no thanks.

The kids completely loved it all, even the warm pudding. I tasted everything and it was totally horrible. Even the corn was bad. But I guess my opinion doesn’t matter. The kids went so far as to describe this as “the best thing we’ve ever eaten” which was a little offensive to me considering some of the things I have cooked from scratch. The kids all gave this an A+. In the end I’ll give it an L, mostly because I’m jealous and a little disgusted by how much they loved it. Next time I’ll leave the boiled over pudding in and see how much they like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment