Wednesday, July 18, 2012

F&A Devil's Food Fat Free Chocolate Cookie Cakes

Hello internet! We just got back from a lovely mini holiday and walking back into my office after four days off made me realize that all my hopes and dreams of a better life are resting on this little blog.* Anyway, Fit&Active's Devil's Food Fat Free Chocolate Cookie Cakes are what we're talking about today.

ALDI's Fit&Active brand has never been great with the succinct titles. But these almost painfully descriptive titles are a good indication of how no-nonsense these brand snacks are. These are a substitute for Nabisco's Devil Food Cookies. Incidentally, while trying to find out who made the original Fat Free Devil's Food Chocolate Cookie Cakes, I found this article in the NYTimes from 1993 about women making a pact that if any of them found these cookies in a store, they would buy ALL of the boxes and them share them with the rest of the pact. Fat free cookies were a big deal back then.

Honestly, I haven't had a Nabisco or SnackWells verison of this cookie since the early 2000s. So the direct comparison I'm about to make may be completely invalid.


I think these are a decent knock-off. They're pretty dense and also pretty bland. But before you bite into it, they are very smooth, just a little shiny, and they smell good. Overall, the experience of eating one or two is positive. I give these cookies an "L" for would buy again even though I probably won't buy them again. It's 2012 and I think we all understand what "fat free" really means now. I seriously doubt that pact in Florida is still standing.

*They're not, that would be very irresponsible.

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Very well written....funny. As a long time Aldi fan (I lived in Germany for 8 years) I'm glad they have been expanding into NY/New England. Suggestion: L = Liked enough to buy again, or Likely to buy again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! That is the best "L" suggestion I've heard yet - my family has been suggesting some real clunkers.

      Delete
  2. My sister's favorite was the Devil's Food Cake Recipe that she got from one of her friends. She always talks about it whenever we meet! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please put the F&A devils food cookie on the shelf year round in the Charleston, SC stores. I, too might buy out the stock!

    ReplyDelete