Tuesday, February 28, 2012

ALDI's Oreos


ALDI's version of Oreo's: Benton's Cookies "Original Chocolate Sandwich Cookies."


I am not going to tell you how many of these cookies I ate this afternoon (hint: fewer than ten, more than five). I will tell you, however, that I could have eaten more. And I will probably dispose of the rest seeing as how each cookie is more than 50 calories (after saving some for the Gentleman Caller, offering some to my roommate, and putting aside three for tomorrow, of course). You just can't maintain an active lifestyle while pounding off-brand sandwich cookies.



Now normally, I would not buy Oreo cookies and bring them to my house to eat alone in front of The Daily Show.  But don't worry, I have had enough experience with Oreos for a proper comparison and Original Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are a good knockoff. I might like them better than the real thing. They are drier and have less filling so they don't leave that scummy feeling on the roof of your mouth or your teeth. I prefer to dunk my 'chocolate sandwich cookies' in milk over twisting and licking so the drier texture is a positive (soaks up milk like a sponge).

I have not devised a rating system for this blog yet, I'm thinking of something like A.L.D.I where:
A for Awesome,
L for (something that means 'would buy again'),
D for Disappointing, and
I for Inedible.

It's going to be blog-a-rific rating system once I get the "L"ironed out. Also, food will get bonus points for novelty or extreme bargains.

These cookies get an L+ for would buy again (bonus point for only costing $1.69). 

stray thoughts:
  • Benton's does make a "Double Filling" version of "Chocolate Sandwich Cookie" for twisters. 
  • Benton's also has a "Vanilla Sandwich Cookie" for the bland
  • No hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oils 
Update: Thanks to a commenter - we have an "L!"  L for Likely to Buy Again. Nice, right?

7 comments:

  1. L for "Let's hope it's there next time!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a more positive sentiment than I was going for. But I like the effort.

      Delete
  2. Def agreement on these! These are def better than any store branded OREO type cookies in my area! The Double Stuff ones are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are pretty much the real deal. I don't have the original Oreo's on hand at the moment, otherwise I would do a side by side comparison. The fact that they only cost $1.69 and are yummy I have been buying these for years and no one complains. :)

    ReplyDelete