Wednesday, February 22, 2012

So what IS good at ALDI?

Welcome to what I'm sure will be a lovely blog about the groceries sold at ALDI. Inspired by the infinitely more useful and better done blog, What's Good at Trader Joe's?, this blog will explore the world of cheap, cheap knock-off groceries.

Until last week, I had never shopped at an ALDI before. I had mentioned to the gentleman caller that I had a previous boyfriend who would shop at ALDI, Kroger, and Publix three-bears style to get the best possible deal on groceries each week. Back then I was young and I thought this was just a solid waste of his time.  But now I'm older and wiser and truly understand the joy of spending less than $1.50 on lunch.

My new (and improved) gentleman caller took me there last Saturday morning and it was amazing. It's the Twilight Zone of grocery stores, meaning that everything seems normal except that one thing you just can't quite put your finger on. Except at ALDI, I can. These groceries look like groceries on sitcoms, instead of "Fritos!" they say "Corn Chips!". Obviously, I was delighted at every turn.


Through the magic of ALDI, this should be a pretty affordable blog to maintain. So here's to not quitting after two entries! (If ALDI sold champagne, now would be the time to pop one open.)

6 comments:

  1. I think they do have Champagne! Well, they at least have Prosecco... At least sometimes, some of the stores have Prosecco.. This has been my experience with Aldi. Sometimes they have things. And sometimes, some stores have things others don't...And sometimes it's just CRAAAAZZZYYYYY

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Aldi has champagnes and I judge it for two thing - does it taste okay? Do I get a headache? The Aldi champagne I tried did have a decent flavor - no worse than lower-priced others (i.e. Korbel) and I didn't get a headache. Lucky me! You are right about whether the products are great or sometimes perfectly weird! It's Aldi though and I love going there. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It does make you wonder why we, you, and everyone else is eating food with a relatively high probability of giving you a headache - but attraction is a mysterious beast.

      -L

      Delete
  3. AHEM - if you want to spend less then $1.50 on lunch then make a big pot of fiber-rich, all real food, always good for you, BEANS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 98% sure they sell beans at ALDI, so I'm sure we'll get to them eventually. Everybody wins! (Which should be one of ALDI's slogans - I got a great gardening hook today for $8.)

      Delete