Monday, February 11, 2013

What The Hell Is Arancini? - Arancini Bites

So I'm strolling out of ALDI the other night and the last thing you pass at our ALDI is the horizontal freezer with the special frozen foods. The stuff that was in the ad that week that you'll probably never see again. Although, the Mac and Cheese Bites have had some amazing staying power.  Anyway, I see this box with a word on it I've never seen before so today, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you - Specially Selected Arancini Bites?

What the...?

First things first, there's no way this is a real thing. I'm Googling this stuff. Well I'll be damned - Arancini or arancine are fried rice balls coated with breadcrumbs, said to have originated in Sicily in the 10th century. Arancini are usually filled with meat sauce, tomato sauce, cheese and/or peas. Please accept my humble apologies, ALDI. 


There's 12 of these babies in a box and they set me back a whopping $1.99. They're pretty small, like maybe the size of a large gumball. The kind you get for a quarter out of a machine. That size. I was too lazy to heat up my regular oven so I tossed a couple into my toaster oven. I think it takes 15 minutes from freezer to done. And what did they look like when they were done? I'm glad you asked!

Done.
Oh, you want to know what they look like on the inside too? Got you covered.
Innerds.
Don't hold that picture against them. I really butchered it trying to cut it open.

I waited for them to cool a little bit and took a bite. They have a nice crunchy texture and a smooth creamy filling. What they don't have is any flavor. They don't really taste like much. They have some pleasant mouth appeal, but no taste. Nothing. So these might be good if you whipped up some marinara to dip them in but plain they were pretty disappointing. I know I sound like an a-hole calling something I didn't even know existed 30 minutes beforehand disappointing, but I expect food to taste like something. And I have also come to expect better from Specially Selected.
I'm giving these Specially Selected Arancini Bites a D+ for the lack of flavor. + for only costing $1.99 and probably being decent with some sauce.

1 comment:

  1. These are actually quite tasty. Most true arancini are served with either a sweet or spicy marinara to dip.
    I enjoyed these very much and have bought them multiple times.
    Next time try the oven, it does work better!

    ReplyDelete