Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mac and Chee Me -- Mac & Cheese Bites

How could you possibly make macaroni and cheese any better you ask? Why, cut it into triangles, bread it and deep fry it of course! Oh, AND do it for $.99!! ALDI, you magnificent bastard. That's right - Appetitos Mac & Cheese Bites are here!

Note: remove from box and cook before plating.


So I found these on a trip to ALDI a few weeks ago and in my Grape/Chili/Cherry Pie/Coffee fueled delirium I completely forgot they were in my freezer. Imagine my joy when I stumbled upon them looking for an after work snack one day. Now you would think that since two of the ingredients are listed in the title and the third is breading that the list of ingredients would be Macaroni, Cheese, Breading. But you would be wrong. The list of ingredients for this simple product is as big as the box. 

 Yikes!

This might explain the headache I got when I ate the Appetitos Mozzarella sticks a few years ago. Well, for you my readers I throw caution (and surgeon general warnings) to the wind! Into the oven at 425 they went.

Fin!

The finished product was golden brown and crispy and looked pretty good to be honest. After my cherry pie scalding I take no chances with ALDI products so I let them cool a while before proceeding to tasting.

Gaze into my cheesy eyes.

So here's the deal. They're pretty good. Some of them. I only cooked three and two of those didn't have much cheese to them but the third one was full of bajillion ingredient cheese goodness and tasted good. Cheesy, crispy, macaroni..y? Pretty decent.

These Appetitos Mac and Cheese Bites get an L- for might buy again but probably not because although they were an amazing bargain at just $.99 the lack of cheese in some, combined with the legal document length of the ingredient list really put me off. If you're in college and poor, which is basically the same thing, you should try these. If not, I'd pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment