Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin Blitz: Pumpkin Spice Bark

It's pumpkin week at ALDI and that means all manner of items that should not be mixed with nutmeg and cinnamon are mixed with nutmeg and cinnamon. But white chocolate seems like an easy winner in the nutmeg and cinnamon sweepstakes. And so I give you Specially Selected Pumpkin Spice Bark.

Straight off the Pumpkin Tree

So the first thing I noticed was how much this pumpkin bark looked to me like this southern treat, salt pork.

 Salty AND porky

This pumpkin bark was already scoring points because I love salt and I love pork! Unfortunately, that's where my bark love ended.

First the ingredients. It has partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil. I'm pretty sure that hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils are bad for you. And there's no pumpkin in it at all. Okay, so it does say pumpkin spice and not pumpkin but if you say pumpkin any where in the name, I feel like there should be some pumpkin in it.

On to the the bark itself. The smell is over-poweringly sweet smelling. Sort of a vanilla cake frosting mixed with a lot of nutmeg. It makes me kind of queasy just smelling it. It doesn't taste much different. And it leaves a weird waxy coating feel in my mouth and even my lips. It's terrible. I can't eat anymore. End of review.

Bark Brick

I give this Specially Selected Pumpkin Spice Bark an I for inedible. Maybe if you like white chocolate and nutmeg a whole whole lot you might enjoy this but I found it to be too sweet, too numeggy and too waxy.

6 comments:

  1. I have to disagree. I bought this the first week it came out and between myself, wife, and son; it was gone in2 days! Very tasty, nice flavor and texture. I bought a second bar to make genache for a second batch of pumpkin marshamllow treats. I def rate L+ to A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm a little over the top about how much I dislike stuff at ALDI but I really, really, REALLY didn't like this at all. Maybe I just don't like nutmeg that much. I honestly ate one small bite in the parking lot and thought it was terrible and then, just to make sure, I ate another small bite before I wrote this and it just did not appeal to me one bit. I should have sent you the other two chunks! The pumpkin marshmallow treats sound pretty interesting though. How were they?

      Delete
    2. They are good! Will let you know how they come with the bark genache.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! And yeah it's always hit or miss with Aldi, so I look forward to reading your review on their products :)

    Therapy In My Kitchen

    ReplyDelete