Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pumpkin Blitz: Pumpkin Spice Milk


I was jazzed when I saw Friendly Farms Pumpkin Spice Milk in the ALDI weekly special. Pumpkin and dairy are foolproof, right? I walked straight to the refrigerator section to pick this up and right as I reached for it, I hesitated. This could go horribly wrong. Things have gone horribly wrong in the past - sunflower bread comes to mind. Maybe this is ALDI reaching too far, they do that sometimes.

But you know what? This specialty milk is only $1.99 and I knew I would lay in bed at night thinking about it if I didn't buy it when I had the chance. Two dollars is a small sacrifice for peace of mind.



First impression was not good - it looks like tomato bisque! Cool it with the artificial food coloring ALDI. If it tastes like pumpkin, we don't need it to be capital 'O' orange. I was unsure and since I was sick last week, I couldn't smell myself confident. I forged ahead and was pleasantly surprised!

The milk is very thick and very sweet. It reminded me a lot of full-fat eggnog (I love eggnog!).  After tasting, I went to the nutrition facts to check the damage. Nine grams of fat per serving and 270 calories!  Yikes!  It's saving grace is that a serving is eight ounces. No way anyone could drink 1/4 of a container in a sitting. You would probably slip into a food-coma half way through.

I'll probably drink the rest of this container by cutting it with skim milk although I really wish I could use it to make these Extreme Pumpkin Cupcakes on ALDI's recipe site. But dang it, I already ate too many pumpkin marshmallows!

I give Friendly Farms Pumpkin Spice Milk an A!  A delightful once-a-year treat. No bonus points because of the nutrition facts and food coloring. Maybe next year ALDI can give us a low fat version (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment