Monday, May 14, 2012

I Scream, You Scream -- Jumbo Waffle Cones and Neapolitan Ice Cream

Is there a food more associated with Summer than ice cream? No, I've looked into it and there's not. And Bud Light doesn't count, it's a drink. Summer's almost here but there's no need to wait, not with ALDI in the neighborhood! Readers it's time for Benton's Kids Jumbo Waffle Cones and Sundae Shoppe Neapolitan Ice Cream...

Summertime Is Here

So I live about two blocks from what bon appetit magazine has ranked as the fourth best ice cream in the country. The salted caramel ice cream is like the crack cocaine of fat people's dreams. It's amazing. But at $4 for a single it's a pretty expensive habit to have. So when I saw theses waffle cones I thought hey, it's like methadone for fat people! I can ween myself off salted caramel at last. So I grabbed a box and since they didn't have salted caramel and I couldn't make an ice cream choice, I picked Neapolitan.


 ChocVanStrawBox



The first thing I noticed when I opened the box of waffle cones was the amazing futuristic delivery method. It's a styrofoam container shaped like a bunch of waffle cones nestled one into the next. It looked like a genius idea.

Packing Of The Future

It wasn't. As you can see there was one fully shattered and one that was pretty cracked. But in Benton's Kids defense, they only cost $1.69 and they're pretty big and thin so it's gotta be hard to ship them from Illinois or where ever in one piece. Let's celebrate the fact that they got ten to me unharmed. Hooray!


The Future Sucks

The products themselves were pretty good. The ice cream was only $1.99 so don't expect Ben and Jerry's but you know for old fashioned ice cream in a box, it's not bad. It was pretty creamy and had decent flavor. The cone itself was pretty amazing. It was crispy and had a delicious sweet taste. And it was big and would hold a ton of ice cream. If it was thicker. That's the only problem with the cones. They're pretty thin so when I tried to stuff more ice cream in the cone it started to crack. But I still got a pretty good looking cone right?

Baskin Robbins Here I Come

I'm giving these Benton's Kids Jumbo Waffle Cones an L+ for would buy again. They're pretty good! Bonus for being only $1.69. The Sundae Shoppe Neapolitan Ice Cream I'm giving an L as well even though I probably won't buy it again. It's not bad, I just like to waste my empty calories on something a little higher end. If you have kids you should feed them this.

stray thoughts
  •  There's a bunch of flavors of Sundae Shoppe Ice Cream. All the basics are covered.
  •  A HUGE kudos to the ALDI corp for making the waffle cone box out of 100% recycled materials. Thanks ALDI!!

1 comment: