Sunday, May 6, 2012

We Got Sauced -- Primavera Sauce

Humble spaghetti sauce, a staple of single people and tired mothers everywhere. So much so that there are a ton of different brands and everybody is upscaling it. So you knew the folks at ALDI were gonna get in on this sweet action.

Shitload -O- ALDI Sauce

And BINGO - I bring you.....Priano Primavera Sauce! 


Hey, is primavera a type of sauce or a brand name? Seems like something a food historian would know...I'll be right back! Apparently a primavera sauce is any sauce with lots of spring vegetables in it.  Primavera literally means "Spring" and it can be tomato or cream based. Thanks Yahoo Answers. How did we know stuff before there was an Internet?

Priano, Italian for Disappointing

As the Lady alluded to in her Winking Owl review, we had an ALDI Italian (Eye-talian for those of you in Alabama) dinner sometime ago that include Winking Owl vino, L'Oven bread sticks and this Priano Primavera Sauce. This meal was the stuff of my nightmares. Some people's bad dreams involve loved ones dying or falling or monsters - but I dream about this meal and wake up screaming. It. Was. Awful. 

Never Eat Breadsticks Bigger Than Your Head


As for the Priano sauce, well now that I know it was suppose to be full of spring veggies, I'm doubly disappointed. It was very acidic, had NO spring vegetables and tasted like the only seasoning they used was oregano. The Lady suggested I add some garlic salt and brown sugar to it which made it tolerable. But as I was cleaning our plates in the sink, I found these cubes of rubbery red something I assume were tomatoes - also not good.

I'm torn about what to give this Priano Primavera Sauce. Straight out of the jar it's a solid I. In fact, I was getting ready to toss mine when the Lady suggested adding that other stuff. After that it was a shaky D. So what I'm going to do is go off the scale and give it a DoubleD-. One D for being bad, one D for not having any veggies and a minus for the rubbery chunks.

3 comments:

  1. Blame yourself for not reading the ingredients list. The product was not to your taste. This does not give you the right to say negative things. I give you a Double D- DUMB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just Googled "Priano Vegetable Primavera Pasta Sauce" because my husband and I LOVED the spaghetti I made last night with a jar of it. I couldn't remember where I bought it and was happy to see it is from my local Aldi's. You hated it, but we LOVED it - enough to search for it again. You never know about people...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's our favorite from Aldi as well - one of the few items I specifically go for. I will say this, the photo on this review is totally different than what the jar we use looks like - it has a green lid and a totally different label. Maybe it's "new & improved" :)

    ReplyDelete