Thursday, November 8, 2012

Piepocalypse Now! - Day Four -- Dutch Apple Pie

When we last convened, we had just finished a not terrible pecan pie. I just heard the oven timer go off so it must time for the warm pies, starting with L'Oven Fresh Dutch Apple Pie.

What country is Dutch anyway? Iceland?

With both of the fruit pies, I cooked the pie at 350 for 20 minutes so it was warm but not overly hot and tented it with some ALDI foil so as not to burn the crust. It worked out pretty well but there are no heating instructions so I was just winging it. I'm not sure what ALDI is thinking - maybe heat causes some horrible reaction in ALDI pies but none of the boxes had any reheating instructions. Note to ALDI: people enjoy warm pie.

I think what makes an apple pie Dutch is the streusel topping. Maybe someone can confirm that? So once again our nemesis, the crust, broke apart as you can sorta see in the picture below.

 
Just like mom use to buy!

The Lady immediately said "this smells exactly like a McDonalds apple pie" and after tasting, said it tasted like one too. I'm skeptical of her assessment because to my knowledge she has never set foot in a McDonalds much less partaken of their sweet two for a dollar apple pies. But there was a time I didn't know her so maybe her old gentlemen callers were cheapskates. The pie was okay, a little too sweet. I thought it would have been better with a slice of cheddar cheese melted on top to balance out the sweetness or even some vanilla ice cream.

This L'Oven Fresh Dutch Apple Pie got an L because it wasn't bad. Get some Happy Farms cheddar to go with it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment