Monday, November 5, 2012

Piepocalypse Now! - Day One

Maybe because Thanksgiving season is upon us or maybe because the boys in the lab over at L'Oven fresh made too many pie crusts, it was pie week at our ALDI . And if there's one thing I love, along with all the other things I've sworn I love in this blog, it's pie. Seriously, pie is my number one choice for dessert or dinner or breakfast...basically at any moment I'm liable to be eating pie. So this week I'm bringing you Piepocalypse Now, a review of 4 of the 6 L'Oven Fresh pies that were available.

 
The Four Horsemen of the Piepocalypse

The pies that made the cut were Cherry, Sweet Potato, Dutch Apple and Pecan. The two that didn't were Pumpkin  (haven't we had enough pumpkin lately?) and Carmel Apple (one apple pie seemed sufficient and dutch apple is a classic). The pies were about $3 each, a pretty good bargain. 

Since I'm inclined to love any pie and hate most things ALDI, the Lady joined me for this taste test. She added some needed balance to the reviews. The tasting was pretty straight forward. We heated the two fruit pies for 20 minutes and ate the other two straight out of the box at room temperature. One slice of the same pie for each of us. Comments held until the everyone was finished. No accoutrements like ice cream, cheese or whipped cream. Each pie rose or fell on it's own merits. Seems pretty unbiased right? I'm pretty sure this is how the Pillsbury Bake Off is judged.

And so loyal readers, as foretold in prophecy, prepare yourselves for the coming L'Oven Fresh Piepocalypse!

No comments:

Post a Comment