Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Piepocalypse Now! - Day Three -- Pecan Pie

When last I left you I had just finished a disappointing pie #1 - Sweet Potato. On to day three - L'Oven Fresh Pecan Pie.

 How do I love thee?

Of all the things I have claimed to love on this blog, this one is closest to being true love. I love pecan pie. It is delicious. Toasted pecans on top of a dark rich sweet Karo syrup flavored filling in a flaky Crisco shortening crust. It's pretty close to the perfect dessert. I think we all know this review is headed for a fall.

Sidebar - do you say Pea-Can, Pea-Con and Puh-Con? I've heard all three and I tend to use Puh-Con. Anyway...


So once again, as you can see from the photo below, we had problems with the crust. And to be kind of nit-picky, there should be pecans covering the entire top of the pie - not haphazardly tossed on it - there were some large gaps.Come on ALDI, have some pride in your work. I want the nuttiness mixed with the sweet in every bite.

I take terrible photos.

The Lady noticed that it had no smell even when stuck right next to her nose. Kinda gross sticking pie in your nose, but we suffer for our art. I thought the pie had too much vanilla flavoring and tasted like cake frosting and the filling wasn't thick enough for my tastes. I put a slice in the refrigerator and let the filling get a little firmer and I liked that a lot better.

We gave this pecan pie an L - not that we'll likely ever buy it again but it wasn't really disappointing - it was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment