Friday, November 9, 2012

Piepocalypse Now! - The Final Reckoning -- Cherry Pie

And so we come to the end of the Piepocalypse and I've saved the worst for last. Readers I give you the worst pie I have ever eaten...L'Oven Fresh Cherry Pie.

Just Don't!

It's products like these that make me wonder if anyone at ALDI actually eats ALDI food. I don't think I have the language skills to explain just how horrible this pie was. But I'll try.


So this time the crust came out of the box intact which I thought was a good sign. It was downhill from there. 

Looks Good. Is Not.

The first thing we noticed was the weird smell. I can't describe it really other than sort of chemical maybe. We each took one bite, looked at each other and said "it has absolutely no flavor," Like nothing. Not even terrible, just like eating nothing. I valiantly took another bite and got what I believe to be a cherry. It was awful. The filling looked dry, the crust had no flavor, the liquid part of the filling had no flavor and the cherries tasted like cherry cough syrup flavoring. Just horrendous. Three bites and this pie went immediately into the trash. 

You've guessed by now that this L'Oven Fresh Cherry Pie got an I for inedible. Never buy this pie.

So there you have it folks, Piepocalypse. Of the four pies we tried I would only maybe buy pecan again. My advice: Pony up another four bucks and get a Mrs. Smith's or something from your local grocers bakery.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of posts on the pies of ALDI.
    generally I like their products but for some reason have shyed away frrom the pies, the price seems too low vs. the perceieved quality. Now i know myinstincts were right to stay away. Money saved for me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete