Saturday, March 31, 2012

Italian Espresso Groast - Italian Espresso Roast coffee

I'm going to be short and to the point here. If you ever see this product, avoid it at all costs. Even if your doctor tells you you're dying and all that can save you is a cup of this coffee, just go ahead and die. You'll be better off.

Mussolini was better to the Italian name.

Just as with the Donut Shop Blend I reviewed earlier, I brewed this in a French press. It tasted like battery acid mixed with the tears of orphans. Blech! So I tried to drip brew it in a Mr. Coffee-type machine. That was slightly better, like only the really old orphans who never get adopted cried in it, but still non-potable. 

It was awful. Just awful. In fact it was so terrible I took it back and got my $4.99 back. That's right, I did the ALDI walk of shame and took them up on their "Double Guarantee." From the ALDI FAQ's "If you’re not satisfied for any reason, simply return the unused portion (or even the empty package) with the receipt to the store. We’ll refund your money and give you a replacement product." Now they did refund my money - somewhat grudgingly telling me that I should have come directly to the register with my return and not shopped first. Which frankly, is a pain in the ass given that ALDI is arranged like a corn maze - but they didn't offer me a replacement product. But whatever, I got my 5 bucks back and that was enough for me.

This was so incredibly dreadful that I refuse to even dignify it's existence with a score. This Italian Espresso Roast coffee gets our first ever return and first ever no score.  

2 comments:

  1. We loved this coffee and we find Aldi coffees quite second-rate most of the time. We are used to drinking dark roasts that are much higher priced. Seeking savings, we switched to Aldi coffees and just accept that you get what you pay for in this arena most of the time. We liked it so much - great aroma, brewed with great flavor - that we went back and purchased the remaining bags - only about 6 left at the time. Perhaps it was a different batch? With Aldi, one never knows. And people like different things so it may be just that. I appreciate that you reviewed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth, thanks for reading our blog and for your comments. I really had a terrible experience with this coffee. It was super bitter. Maybe it was the batch because I've purchased the doughnut blend a bunch of times and find it to be pretty decent. And you're right, you never know with ALDI - sometimes it's pretty amazing what you get for the price but sometimes it's not even worth a couple of bucks. We think that's part of the fun of shopping there! We hope you'll be back for more reviews and tell your friends!

    ReplyDelete