Monday, January 7, 2013

Gourmet Spreadable Cheese - Garlic and Herb Edition


ALDI is really stepping it up with their Specially Selected brand. Hit after hit after hit. I've thought about those Specially Selected cream puffs every day for over a week. I almost bought more of them tonight, they were so goo- ok, get it together, we're here to talk about cheese not cream puffs and you love cheese - cheese is almost your favorite food behind bagels, pho, clementines, vanilla soft serve, and waffles. (Fun fact: when we started this blog, I thought that I would have more fun with a blog dedicated solely to vanilla soft serve - just pictures of vanilla soft serve from all over the county (or more likely, all over Georgia). I was going to call it "A Soft Serving." You guys would read that right? When you're done reading this review, google-image search for "vanilla soft serve," you won't be sorry. It's a beautiful gallery.)

So Specially Selected Gourmet Spreadable Cheese Garlic and Herb flavor is pretty decent spread. This is clearly meant to knock off Rondele and it's totally adequate at that. We ate it with ALDI's version of reduced fat Wheat Thins (which are also perfectly adequate). Wanna see what it looks like?


It looks like this:

Actually this pictures makes it look a little gross. It was whiter in person and totally serve-able to other people. Straight out of the refrigerator, this stuff is pretty hard to spread so make sure you have enough lead time to let it warm up to room temperature and become light and fluffy. This cheese spread costs $2.99 - at least a dollar less than the name brand (I'm not sure how much rondele is because I don't buy it as it's out of my price range). I would give this an L. I'm hesitant to give it an A because does not compare in the least to those cream puffs.

Just an FYI: I'm pretty sure that ALDI is phasing it's Grandessa brand into Specially Selected (a downgrade name-wise in my opinion).

1 comment:

  1. I almost bought one of the olive spreads the other day, but it had so much saturated fat. I should have bought it!

    ReplyDelete