Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Simply Nature Week - Raspberry Lemonade Twisted Fruit Rope

ALDI is really trying to encourage everyone to be healthier right now. Last week, they were selling elliptical machines, hand weights, and juicers. And next week, they're selling ab wheels and pull-up bars. This week is a push on their new brand "Simply Nature" which the ad says has "no artificial colors, flavors, or unnecessary enhancers" (I guess necessary enhancers are still on the table).


First thing I tried was the Raspberry Lemonade Twisted Fruit Rope. It was pretty good!  I really like mashed-up fruit (rolls, bars, tape, twists, I will happily eat it all). They were best when you bite a piece off and then let it dissolve in your mouth to capitalize on the flavor. If you just bit, chewed, and swallowed, it's could be a little bland. So try to remember to take your time. 

I used to drink a lot of crystal light at work in a desperate attempt to drink more water and CL has a raspberry lemonade flavor. I would say that without that experience, I would probably not be able to name the exact flavor during a blind taste-test. But even if the exact flavor was mysterious, it still tastes like mashed-up fruit. Plus, mysterious flavors aren't always terrible - for example, white airheads or clear gummy bears.


The ingredients listed on the side did not include any scary chemicals so there is some truth in the advertising there. Each rope has 60 calories and there are eight in a box for $2.49. Not too terrible (31 cents each?). I will say that it's hard to eat only one because they pretty small in size so two feels more like a serving. ALDI was carrying two flavors - the raspberry lemonade and strawberry banana. I've never heard of a banana-flavored fruit roll, bar, or tape so I thought the raspberry lemonade was safer. After having this one, I would be willing to give the strawberry banana a swirl.

I would give Simply Nature Raspberry Lemonade Twisted Fruit Rope an L. Again, if cream puffs are an A, these twists are an L. Maybe in another week, I will be ready to hand out A's again.

No comments:

Post a Comment